EDWISE  - EDITOR AND EDUCATION CONSULTANT
My Blog

Eye of the Optimist-Invisible Revolutions for a Better Way

I just watched a very cool English language documentary by  French film maker Philippe Borrel and published by ZED, Paris, which was aired on Deutsche Welle TV, the English language German global TV channel. (L'Urgence de Ralentir distributed by TV France Internationale/ Invisible Revolutions/Schluss mit schnell, 2014-52 minutes, which is also available on Youtube.) It appears that there are a few English language documentaries of the same English title. One is on Anti-Racist Action, and one by EuropaBio (2012) about developments in biotechnology and  National Geographic film on nanotechnology (2014). Another is on the life and work of Doug Engelbart ("a web documentary on Doug Engelbart, the man who invented much of the information environment we live in today - the computer mouse, word processing, email, hypertext and so on. In short: Interactive computing.") All these sound like interesting worthwhile views, which I'll try to watch later. Today I'd like to sketch this French one, for it sums up a lot of community initiatives and inventions that have been happening around the world over the past few decades or just in recent years and calculates that together they are gradually making significant changes that can carry enough influence and momentum to swell into a serious global challenge to monopoly capitalism.

IT goes faster and faster transferring more and more information, which governments cannot track, so that financial transactions fire back and forth by the hundreds per second, and mainly among those who are already rich. It's a numbers game and the aim of many players is to maintain the order, the status quo, far from changing or development human society.

I guess the word "invisible" is used for the title because there is not much fanfare and publicity about these positive developments, and because they begin as small scale local projects taking the best of local traditions and modern technology and honing it meet immediate local needs and suit local preferences and interests. I say many start out small, but many have grown into substantial non-profit enterprises employing and benefiting a lot of people and solving many problems. That is to say they have a high impact though no capital investment, promotions or large scale fundraising has been done to accomplish what they have accomplished, and generally go under-reported in the corporate media. The ones that have grown have accumulated a lot of local power to motorize social change from the grassroots up, and they educate followers to adopt a new way of life on principles including environmentalism, fair trade, self-reliance, cooperation, sharing, people first, anti-materialism, anti-profiteering, local socioeconomic development, discussion and peace. Though invisible in mainstream consciousness, they affect many people and have become bulwarks in their communities.

Take the Barefoot College that serves illiterate women from laboring poor communities in many poor countries to teach them engineering skills for local energy development (www.barefootcollege.org). It also teaches about sanitation and environmental conservation. Classified as a social work and research center and run by volunteers, it is based in India and many branches exist in several locations. Communities select and send qualifying individuals for up to six months of training. They learn circuitry design and assembly and more. Picture books and sign language are used, and a practice of learning by doing and consulting is followed. The Colleges themselves use solar panels and parabolic cooking to model ways of mastering and implementing energy at the local level with cheap and common materials, and minimize the institute's costs. The students share the daily chores, too.

Another project featured in this film is the Transitions Network (www.transitionsnetwork.org). It began in the UK in 2006 and has grown to over 1,000 "citizens' initiatives" in 43 countries. With branches connected to this global network in several countries, education about social change and how to do it the grassroots way is carried out through annual conferences, the website and local discussions. From an ecology perspective, the network shares success stories about inventing techniques for local production, maximizing the potential of local resources while conserving the environment, creating local culture and economies, and so on. It started by raising concerns about dependency on fossil fuels and the need to create balanced sustainable economies that serve the people, not profits. With an orientation of "reconomizing", its website promotes models for bakeries, food-growing groups, transition street projects, community-owned breweries and community-owned energy. Also, the website contains information on how to start, nurture and assess community groups. The Transitions Network invites people to join and start their own local projects, offering advice and citing examples.

This eye-opening film cites many kinds of projects and initiatives. The film begins by exposing how many local militant protests have stopped mega-projects and anti-social and anti-environment  large scale "development".It says that many towns have been using their own currency to encourage and assist local businesses. Organic farming and cuisines have taken root, changing habits here and there. Harvesting and use of local natural materials have been found. It talks about community-wide recycling and reusing energy reduced systems, such as in Bristol, UK. There are food cooperatives and credit unions going as far back as the 1960s in places such as New York City that have lasted and expanded to employ lots of people, create more community spirit, assist local businesses and solve problems like micro-loans and affordable healthy food. The film also underscored the successes of initiatives and policies in Latin America, such as those of Ecuador and Bolivia, where indigenous values and ways are governing the local development of technology and economic exchanges.

The film comes to the conclusion that the long term aim of these kinds of "small rebellions"  is living well through collective discussion and action, rather than accumulation and individual gain. We can slow down, consume and suffer less and enjoy life more. Furthermore, I note that the film insinuates that protesting is not enough; rather, self-reliant community action and negotiation can have a greater and more enduring beneficial impact on working people where they live and society as a whole. It is possible to change.

24 Comments to Eye of the Optimist-Invisible Revolutions for a Better Way:

Comments RSS
anonymous on August 17, 2018 9:00 PM
good one

buy best essay on February 12, 2019 4:27 PM
What I have learned about your post is in order for you to change your community, you have to change yourself first. This may be hard for other people because they do not know their self yet, but this is the best thing to do. The film is really an eye opener for its viewers. I want to make this movie known because it can make people realize many things. I hope this kind of movie will be prioritized because it gives relevant benefits.

dissertation writing service au on April 22, 2019 3:14 AM
This kind of documentary can help a community to figure out what is wrong in them. I realized that our community will not improve and develop if we keep on focusing on doing wrong things. We must know the consequences of every action that we do. While I am watching the film, I was able to realize many things. I believe this must reach more people, especially those who are in line with politics. I hope many films like this will be produced.

dissertations services on November 23, 2018 2:47 AM
Great revolutions I ever seen and preparing about more revolutions and distributed the perfect techniques and useful services. The environmental teaching skills and developing the computer thoughts.

Diving in Baja California on January 9, 2019 1:00 AM
Explaining these codes and search topics can be tough call. you might find some really helpful posts by . they are great at providing help on such topics.

sa on January 21, 2019 7:55 PM
as

David Smith on May 10, 2019 4:47 PM
This article is so valuable article in detail. I read this article three time and see good piece of material here.Thanks. rubber entrance matting

Warne on May 12, 2019 9:46 PM
Glad to read about this blog. The stories you share on this site are worth to read. bible study tools

Camy on May 13, 2019 12:45 AM
This post always shared powerful materials everyday, I hope you continue to have such quality articles to share with everyone! I believe a lot of people will be surprised to read this article children's church

Jack on May 19, 2019 9:45 PM
Thank you so much for the post you do. I would like to leave you and I would like to know more, I would like to bookmark the page so you can have a wonderful job. elder care services

Bon on July 28, 2019 4:00 AM
So nice post I visit first time on this page I really excited to read your post, thanks for nice sharing I am also sharing this post on my friends. yacht hire

Hun on July 30, 2019 12:27 AM
What a good post here. I have visited the whole site and came to know that there are very valuable information shared in this post. super visa insurance policy

Jame on August 5, 2019 9:56 PM
You have made a great effort in making this post which is appreciable and easy to understand a href="https://www.clearpathortho.com/">clear aligners braces

unlimited coins games on September 10, 2019 7:12 PM
if you no longer have life, you can't play it. Because the game is really addictive, some of us just can't get enough.
Reply to comment

https://www.allamericanspecialtyservices.com/blog/2013/03/24/Fireplace-Jacksonville-FL.aspx on October 22, 2019 1:33 AM
I am all that much satisfied with the substance you have said. I needed to thank you for this extraordinary article.

bæredygtig pension on October 22, 2019 1:33 AM

deer fence installation on January 5, 2020 1:39 AM
Every morning, I come up here and read new as a habit. I like enjoying a cup of coffee and read your nice posts.

outsourcing training in bangladesh on January 23, 2020 6:47 PM
We are providing outsourcing training in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Getting freelancing training for Upwork, Freelancer, Fiverr, CPA Marketing and Affiliates Marketing.Smart Education is the one stop solution for any type of educational institutes to automate data management process.Smart Outsourcing Solutions is a technical agency based in Dhaka,

ant control on March 31, 2020 3:13 PM
which comprehend the price omoref delivering the excellent for more useful resource free of charge. ant control

Amazon Echo Dot Smart Speaker on May 13, 2020 6:00 PM
Thank you for posting this type of great content ... I was looking for something like this.

חבילות ליוון on May 19, 2020 10:21 PM
Wow, this is fascinating reading. I am glad I found this and got to read it. Great job on this content. I liked it a lot. Thanks for the great and unique info.

user experience design on May 23, 2020 10:30 AM
Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.

דילים לקפריסין on June 16, 2020 5:58 AM
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

ss on June 17, 2020 7:31 AM
Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also בתי מלון בצפון